Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reach for the stars, then just hope to survive

Clearly this post is about my 2015 resolutions. Since my 2014 resolutions were such an absolute success (not at all) I thought I should do it again.  Maybe putting goals out there to the Internet will make them come true.  One thing I have learned with kids, set the bar REALLY low, at least as it relates to doing stuff for yourself.   Lets review my past failures before we talk about the amazing things I will achieve in 2015.

2014 Recap : So I figured I should probably make a few goals for myself this year. 

- Exercise more than I did last year (I can tell you already I will fail here)
- Create less garbage
- AT LEAST once a week do something fun with Brian
- Blog consistently
- Read 6 books

That's it!  That is completely attainable, don't you think?

Here is why I chose these -
Exercise - obvious, but it is the one thing that I have not made time for in this first year with a child. I have found it incredibly difficult to exercise regularly.  That's a huge adjustment for the person who worked out 7 days a week and started EVERY day that way.  I used to run 10 miles every Saturday.  I haven't run 10 miles since early 2012. Yikes.

I was already pregnant with Bo when I wrote this, so clearly the hormones got to me, this was the most unrealistic one…by far.

Garbage - we have trash pick-up every other week and recycling and compost every week.  We had to get a bigger can from the trash company because we always fill it and have overflow.  Granted, we had a lot of diapers this year, but we have a lot of other trash too.  I'll be honest, I am on garbage duty and on trash day I am embarrassed that we have the biggest (fullest) can on the block. What the hell is in there???  So I bought a countertop compost and am doing my best to be sure compost and recycle are used as much as possible.

When I am pregnant for the first 12 to 18 weeks I feel TERRIBLE. So the last thing I wanted to do a couple times a week was empty old food from a compost.  We failed here, miserably.  I will say our recycling bin is always full, but that could also have to do with our Amazon addiction.

Fun - Brian and I are both tired at the end of the day and most nights we end up eating dinner (with the TV on) and then watching mindless shows or sports all night until bed.  We both need some nights like that but we were getting sick of every night being like that.  So we created a new system…but honestly that is a post by itself…coming soon.

We had fun, but it was a sober fun and for the next 10 weeks after this post it wasn't much fun at all. I was in bed right after Jake most nights.  We did go out on more dates than the year before, but we still have lots of room for improvement on our evenings.  Our idea was to put a bunch of different things to do in a jar and we would draw one out on Sunday for the week.  Things like - cook dinner together, watch a movie, read (not together, just no TV), play a game, blah blah…we failed... 

Blog - I like this place, I like writing (mostly about my kid), but about me too and going back to read it later.  I don't care if only like 4 people read it, it isn't for them anyway.  It's for us, a place to document our adventures, a place to have a creative outlet, and a place to post my baby's face all over. 

You can just scroll over the dates of all my posts to know what happened here. Yikes. 2014 had 12 posts…while 2013 had 68. Fail.

Read - Yep, that would be 6 more books than I read last year. Embarrassing, but true. So one every 2 months, seems totally possible, although it is February 1st and I haven't started one yet….

I read 2 books in 2014.  That is 2 more than in 2013…if I keep that up, I will read 6 books in 2016.  Shoot for the stars.


Ok, so lets try again.  My goals are as follows, making them a little more measurable.  I'm sure thats the only reason I didn't succeed last year  -
- Run a half marathon
- Try at least 2 new recipes a month
- Have a no TV night once a week
- Blog once a week
- Read 4 books

I can do this. I can. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Hopefully these two monkeys don't screw it up for me, they are dangerously cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment