Tuesday, May 13, 2014

#2 On The Way

It doesn't seem too long ago that I decided to start a blog because I was pregnant with our first baby and I wanted a place to journal the experience in both words and pictures.  Well now we get to do it all over again.  I'm 22 weeks as I write this and the reality of having another baby still hasn't set in. 

We were trying, we had been trying from the first time we could after Jake started nursing less.  Nothing had happened yet.  I have incredibly long cycles, like 60 days and with Brian's work travel it was hard to get our timing right.  We knew that unlike some of our friends that just look at each other funny, we had to put a little work in to make this happen.  To help us out, I went on Clomid.  It definitely helped us out.  It was before my period was due when I had a feeling to take a test with Jake, this little one took some more time cooking…I was late, three days late.  Jake and I were headed for an exciting Wednesday morning at Costco and I told him "Mommy needs to take a quick test before we go"…so I did and I got the faintest, seriously faintest positive result ever.  The line was so light I had to take a picture so I could zoom in and see if I was imagining it.  Might be gross, but I kept the picture…might be really gross, but I posted it here.  I couldn't believe it.  We went to Costco and later in the day after nap we went to Rite Aid so I could get one of those tests that tell you the word "pregnant"…and it did, quickly.  

Brian was leaving for a long weekend in Bandon and while I wanted to make telling him something fun, I couldn't contain myself.  So I put Jake in his Big Brother tee shirt and waited for him to be home so I could tell him.  Turns out Sam and Jacqui and the kids were here and so they all found out too!  I asked Brian to take Jake's sweatshirt off because I was going to feed him.  He didn't notice the t-shirt right away, but Jacqui yelled "Big Brother??!!", it was hilarious and exciting. 

At 6 weeks I still didn't feel sick and it made me nervous because at that point I was sick already with Jake.  Sure enough, about 3 days later the 24 hour nausea began and got progressively worse over the next 5 weeks or so.  

It was bad, I was so sick and so tired by the time Brian got home from work I could barely function.  Smells grossed me out and I also had excessive saliva this time which I didn't with Jake.  I would be rocking him and singing before I put him down for bed at night feeling I could throw up at any second. I never threw up, but I sure wanted to.  Same as with Jake I was worse at night than in the morning, but I woke up with it in the middle of the night, I don't remember that with Jake.  It really took until 18 weeks for the nausea to be completely gone and to get my energy back.  It is still hard to think about now and to be honest, 15 to 18 months with Jake is a little bit of a blur, but I am through it and it was all for the good of a healthy little nugget growing inside me.

1st Trimester memories: 

- eating 4 big meals everyday
- eating a lot in the car, with Jake, who would also want some and as a result has had McDonald's breakfast earlier in life than I had hoped and loves Bento
- Greasy finger prints all over the dash board from said eating
- desperate afternoons when I turned on "The Cat in a Hat" and hoped for just 8 min of stillness
- Barely making it through nightly lullabies and going immediately to bed
- Not staying up past 8 pm for 2 months
- Jake's swim lessons, the only place I ever felt good was in the pool

But at nearly 12 weeks we had our first ultrasound and I could see that sweet baby who had been sucking the life out of me for months and everything was suddenly better. So here we are, #2 is on the way and they are going to have the best big brother ever. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment