Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Project Home: Adirondack Chairs and Home Office

During my maternity leave I was picking projects all over the house and yard to take on.  Stuff we then wouldn't have to do on the weekends.  The basement "update" was one of them.  After that I decided I wanted to refinish our Adirondack chairs.  We left them outside through the winter 2 years in a row. Not smart.  They were in pretty bad shape as you can see below.  I went to Home Depot and showed the lady in the paint department a picture of the chairs and told her I needed everything to make them look like new again.  She told me I would need to scrape, sand, prime, and paint, but recommended spray paint as a time-saving (she saw Jake) measure.  So I was on my way, well I quickly figured out I don't like refinishing furniture.  The progress is too slow.  The sanding is dirty and tedious, so I did the best I could with my attention span and the fact that Jake only takes 30 min naps and I decided to paint. I told Brian it would be the "rustic" look.  My chairs look WAY better, but don't get too close or you will notice my skills are definitely in other areas. 



After I resigned and went to pick up my things and I was going through my boxes that I had packed 6 months ago at my old job (I was being moved to my new office on my leave) and for the first time I started to feel a little nostalgic.  This was a big step, everything in those boxes was basically useless in my new life.  I know I made the right decision. I made the only decision that felt right to me and I won't look back, but it is still a big change and there would probably be something wrong with me if I didn't feel anything when I opened those boxes.  So I had to do what any new "stay-at-home mom, ex-power driven career lady" would do...build a home office, complete with name plates - 2 of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment