Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Weekend Recap: Memorial Day Weekend

Well we didn't get to everything on our list, but despite not very nice weather we had a good long weekend and we even got a few things done. 

On Saturday I walked with Jake to the Farmer's Market, he took a nap and I enjoyed some exercise.  In the afternoon he took an epic 1 hour and 45 min nap...in his crib. So basically he broke a record, a new personal best!  Saturday night Brian and I got take out from Killer Burger, I forgot to take a picture and ate it too fast.  Needless to say it was delicious.  As I was enjoying it I mentioned that I hadn't had a bacon cheeseburger since my five-guys-athon in Palm Desert.  I was saying that is why this one tasted so good, Brian so gently reminded me that was only about a month ago.  I just love me a bacon cheeseburger these days.  

Sunday morning Grandma Diane, Grandpa Butch, and Auntie Danielle came over and played with Jake for a while.  He loved all the attention and showed off a lot of his new tricks. Jake celebrated being seven months old with lots of smiles.  We had a quiet afternoon and evening.  I tried to make pulled pork in the slow cooker and it was a total fail. I have no idea what I did wrong since I had done it before and it is like the easiest thing to make ever. So instead we had a good standby, "egg surprise." 

Monday was awful rainy weather, but we still got out for a couple walks and Jake took a long morning nap so I made a new recipe.  Smore's bars with nutella.  
It was a recipe I got off Pinterest and they are pretty delicious.  I followed the recipe except for a little less marshmallow, an entire 7oz container is a lot of fluff!
We got a few things done like installing the carseat, some work in the yard, and Brian started to refinish our screen doors.  The rest of the time I just watched Jake roll around our house. Overall I would call it a success. 

Yield: One 8x8 pan (16 squares)
Ingredients:

1 and 1/4 cups flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg 
pinch of vanilla powder (or 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
1/2 cup Nutella
7 ounces marshmallow creme
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 glass baking dish with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on opposite sides. 


In a bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until creamy and well blended. Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined. 
Press half of the dough evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon marshmallow creme over the dough, then use the back of a greased spoon or a greased angled spatula to spread it out. Spread Nutella over marshmallow creme. Sprinkle chocolate chips over Nutella. Break apart chunks of the remaining graham cracker dough and scatter on top of the chocolate chips.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely in pan, then lift out using overhanging edges of parchment paper and cut into bars. 















No comments:

Post a Comment