Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day Tradition

When we were younger we had a May Day tradition.  My Mom would help us make baskets out of paper plates, ribbon, and a staples and we would fill them with flowers and head around the neighborhood with our May Day treats.  The tradition was to leave the basket on the porch, ring the doorbell and run.  What fun we had trying to scurry out of the way before the neighbors caught us.  When we were older and we would tell other kids about it they had no idea what we were talking about.  It didn't matter though.  It is a tradition I plan to pass on to my kids. They too will think it is what everybody does on May 1st.

The other silly thing I remember for May Day was performing the May Pole dance.  I don't remember any of the details except I think my partner was my friend Abbie Peterman.  I might have just made that up.
Anyway, I remember spring to be a lot sunnier as a child, perhaps that is because I was picking flowers or dancing around a May Pole, rather than sitting in meetings!

Happy May Day.


1 comment:

  1. so you danced around a pole with another girl... is that a tradition or a job description for an employee at Acropolis?

    ReplyDelete